1. Double click on the icon above
2. Search using the keywords ' women Afghanistan'.
3. Find this article and read it through.
|Afghanistan: Taliban's war on women|
4. Answer this question:
Which examples of the Taliban's treatment of women mentioned in this article can you also find in Parvana?
Be specific and provide page numbers with your examples.
Parvana - Deborah Ellis
Parvana, by Deborah Ellis, ( also known by the title The Breadwiinner) is an international bestseller. It tells the story of a young girl living in Afghanistan, where people's lives, (particularly women) are severely controlled by the Taliban. Based on interviews that the author conducted with real people in Afghanistan, this story gives us an insight into this culture and the obstacles that some people face on a daily basis.
As we read and think about the question, 'Can fiction reveal truth?', have a look at these online resources to help us gather some background material on these issues . Has Deborah Ellis been accurate in her depiction of life under the Taliban?
Biography of Deborah Ellis
Women's Education in Afghanisatn
1. Double click on the icon above.
2. Choose middle school level.
3. Search with the keyword 'Taliban'.
4. Read the article which comes up as the first result.