1. Double click on the icon above.
2. Choose middle school level
3. Bruno refers to it as 'Out-With'. The correct name of course is 'Auschwitz'. Conduct a search using this term.
4. Read the 'Auschwitz' article and answer the following questions:
a. Where is the concentration camp located?
b. When was it established?
c. What were the three largest groups of people who died there?
d. What has happened to the site now? Why has it not been destroyed?
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
This international bestseller is set during World War II and follows the story of Bruno and Schmuel and their unlikely friendship. The subject matter is not always easy, but the importance of knowing about this terrible event in History makes the journey worthwhile.
As we read and think about the question, 'Can fiction reveal truths?', have a look at these online resources to help us gather some background material on these issues . Has John Boyne been accurate in his depiction of this period?
Remembering the Holocaust
Click here to go to a website where you can listen to two audio recordings of a Holocaust survivor, Eva Neumann, and hear her views on this novel.
Click here to find out what the term Holocaust actually means. What terms are increasingly being used instead? Why is this?
Click here to hear the author, John Boyne, talking about the novel.
1. Search using the term 'Auschwitz' in the search box. Make sure you spell it correctly!
2. Find this article in the results. It will be the last one one the page.
3. Read the article and answer this question:
a. What attempts are being made to preserve Auschwitz?
b. What reasons are given in this article for doing so?